Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

corwin (4648)

corwin
  (email not shown publicly)
http://corwin.mpls.cx/
AOL IM: mplsCorwin (Add Buddy, Send Message)
Yahoo! ID: mplsCorwin (Add User, Send Message)

Just another perl geek.

Journal of corwin (4648)

Wednesday January 05, 2005
10:21 AM

perl-fu

Well, of the two projects mentioned in the previous entry, both are still ongoing.

The HTML::Mason based site is on hold, and I don't know that we'll actualy get it off the ground. In fact, we've been talking about scrapping our requirements and redrafing then after we've given slashcode (the software powering this site) a look.

The other project perl-fu 3 is fully in my lap and I'm pleased to report that I have nothing to report. Perl-fu 3 is a ground up rewrite of perl-fu the infobot used my efnet#perlhelp, efnet#poe, and by me, at irc.lethnet.org (a server I operate for a hacking club.)

Since the work which is currently keeping me from doing much with either of these ladauble projects is in PHP -which I've had to learn for above work- the only thing I have to report is this.

The server which hosts efnet#perlhelp's perl-fu got hacked, aparently, and perl-fu was somewhat damaged. It turned out that the simplest solution was to do a virgin install of the latest greatest perl-fu 2, which fell to me.

It went fairly smoothly until I discovered that the SQLite databases containing the bot's Factoid database, karma scores and user activity history we're utterly impatable with the version of SQLite installed after the server rebuild. This necessated my moving the databases back over to one of my servers (which still has the old SQLite) and then writing a tool (as I didnt' have sqlite(1) and didn't want to risk talking to the CPAN about the issue) to dump the databases to SQL.

As Juerd and I discussed, using DBI without a fancier tool sure seems like work. I was supprised how much effort it took to remember even the simple prepare(), execute(), fetch() sequence.

In any case the operation was a success; the patient may even live. Until I get time to get an alpha of perl-fu 3 out, at any rate.

Saturday November 15, 2003
02:14 AM

Here I am

This is my first journal entry. I've only become a use Perl member, but since I have I've realized that it's passable, however unlikely, that jotting down my experience with the language, and more generally in the fields of computer geekery about which I muck, may prove of interest to others. I do keep a web site, and a more general journal there, but what I intend to put here will be strictly perl related. Or maybe not. We'll see.

Anyway, I've just embarked on two rather ambitions projects that I'd like to mention.

This first is the total redesign of the web site for the Legion of Ethical Hacking, of which I'm a member, and for whom I operate the (trunk) IRC server. The last (read: current) version of the site was done in PHP, of which I'm not very fond, and so when time came to do a redesign I started mouthing off about HTML::Mason. This has earned me a rather prominent (if not actually estimable) position in the design group, and the privilege of hosting the development site for the project until such time as we're able to move to our new server, where we'll be able to build our own httpd, mod_perl, and other goodies.

The other project is a collaboration. I've invested some effort, recently, in writing plug-ins for Perl-fu, and this gave me cause to write several time to it's author, Brandon Beamer. Eventually, we started talking, and he has since asked me to collaborate on the next version of the bot. I've very excited about this. We're still in the planning stages but the bot is going to kick serious ass when finished. I even think we'll stay fairly true to the original Infobot. I wish I could still locate my notes from YAPC, where this was talked about.

In other news, today Halfjack on EFnet's #perlhelp pointed me at REGex coach which I expect to seriously improve my life. Also I wrote:

sub there(&){}sub is($){} not $try; there{ is do {} or do not eval{}}

which I'm awfully darned pleased with. I also did

sub there(&){}sub is($){} not $try; there{ is do{} or not do {}}

but I think I like the former better. Suggestions (to either) very much welcome.