For purpose of illustration, I'm showing you the original title, the Portuguese title, and a litteral (as much as possible) translation back to English of that Portuguese title.
- Perto Demais
- Too Close
Get the idea? The movie is called "Closer", is advertised in Portugal as "Perto Demais", which is Portuguese for "Too Close".
Here are some of the most recent ones (I had a leaflet from a cinema at home):
- Little Black Book
- As Amigas do Meu Namorado
- My Boyfriend's Girlfriends
- Team America
- Team America - Polícia Mundial
- Team America - World Police
- Blade Trinity
- Blade Trinity: Perseguição Final
- Blade Trinity: Final Chase
- Are We There Yet?
- Estás frito, Meu
- You're Toast, Dude
- Romasanta, A Caça ao Lobisomem
- Romasanta, The Hunt to the Werewolf
- Million Dollar Baby
- Million Dollar Baby - Sonhos Vencidos
- Million Dollar Baby - Dreams Won (?)
- Back to Gaya
- Back to Gaya, Pequenos Heróis
- Back to Gaya, Small Heroes
I especially like the translation for "Are We There Yet?"
I mean, it's not that hard, is it? It's just "Já chegamos?"
And don't tell me it's a matter of culture or anything, because that's a sentence every Portuguese kid says in every car journey... several times!
Sometimes they get it right, and sometimes they don't even bother translating the title (they use the original, as if everybody knew English).
To end this rant, here's one of my personal favorites:
- The Last Warrior
- O Décimo Terceiro Viking
- The Thirtheenth Viking
FFS!! The guy wasn't even a Viking!!!