2) I check the authors of the comments. One of them is Detonite.
3) I notice that one of his goals is to become a Notable programmer.
4) I follow the link on "Notable programmers" to Wikipedia, where I start browsing the list. Eventually, I find the creator of Doom, John Carmack.
5) I follow the Wikipedia link to id software.
6) I look at the "Games by id software" section and I find this.
So this is it: you start with an article on Perl's command line switches and special variables and end up with Quake IV