Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

cog (4665)

Journal of cog (4665)

Tuesday February 22, 2005
12:20 PM

Trying to solve a problem...

[ #23308 ]
Problem: uploading an image to Bricolage would produce the following error:

fileparse(): need a valid pathname at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Bric/Util/Trans/FS.pm line 864

Trying to find the cause/solution: (some steps may have been ommited/forgotten)

  • tried with a different filename
  • tried with a different filetype
  • tried with an image that had worked before (system was migrated)
  • tried with a different browser
  • tried from different machines
  • even checked on the files permissions

I went to the filesystem of the machine running Bricolage:

  • checked for permissions
  • checked for diskspace
  • tried finding the place where the images would be placed (and there they were, but empty (0 bytes))
  • checked the error log (nothing interesting there, but it turns out I had misread the log; more later)
  • checked if the database was up

Meanwhile:

  • used Google
  • asked on irc

None of this had helped so far

I went to the code:

  • found the module causing the error
  • edited it so to understand what was causing the error (turns out the filename was being passed without any value to File::Basename::basename; a bit of hardcoding showed that there would be problems later on anyway)
  • found out which module was calling the function with a "die caller" on the line causing the error
  • edited that module (Bric::App::Callback::Profile::Media)
  • found the line calling the function that would die
  • debugged just to be sure there wasn't any filename (and there wasn't, $upload->filename was empty)
  • used Data::Dumper (and die) to check on $upload and $fh (the result of $upload->fh); turns out, $fh was undef (interesting, uh?); $upload is an Apache::Upload object
  • died with $upload->size just to check its value... it was 0

And then I went out to lunch; on the way to the restaurant, it hit me: there was probably an area missing; the filename was getting there, because it was being written as an empty file; its contents, however, were not; one possibility would be a missing directory or something in an intermediate area.

Of course that... searching for something that is missing isn't quite the easiest thing to do, right? This didn't work.

Round 2:

  • checked the error logs again, and indeed there were problems writing the files (permission denied), but where?
  • checked for the configuration files, to search the temp directories for the upload stuff; no problems found there...

Time for some new tactics:

  • tried cleaning the cache; didn't work
  • next step: update Bricolage; didn't work either
  • reinstalled libapreq; problem persists

And that's where I am right now. Others have tried to help, but no one managed to come up with a solution so far... Ideas are welcome.

We're still trying different approaches, but I'm not sure...

What I think is that there's a temporary directory somewhere without permissions... I already checked the configuration, and TEMP_DIR is set to be /tmp, which has all the permissions she needs...

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.