Thursday July 12, 2007
Perl 6 Design Minutes for 11 July 2007
The Perl 6 design team met by phone on 11 July 2007, after two weeks of hiatus due to YAPC::NA and American Independence Day. Damian, Allison, and Jesse attended; Patrick sent in a report beforehand. These are the minutes:
- things are going along ok. Most of the perl6 stuff I've been doing has been to do with the redesign of pod and the doc facilities with the language. It's been somewhat contentious.
- in the last week, the main people who are not happy with what I've done have put out a document indicated what they'd like. I'm digesting that and I'm going to try to explain how it can be made to fit in with what we already have. I'm in the process of stealing as much as I can to result in a better whole
- somewhat distracted by paying work
- updating the YAPC::NA materials (that I wrote and Larry presented) and tracking changes
- Parrot distribution has been shifted to Artistic 2.0 License
- Lengthy discussion on P5P about shifting to Artistic 2.0
- Working mainly on finsishing up the implementation of the new object metamodel
- Going better than I thought it might, but not as fast as I'd like
- Updating the existing object code to allow for multiple concurrent implementations
- We gave out three new Perl 6 microgrants
- Flavio Glock will receive a travel microgrant to help him attend YAPC::EU and evangelize kp6 and the Perl 6 in Perl 6 effort.
- Steve Pritchard will receive a microgrant to complete the RPM packaging of Parrot and Pugs for Fedora and to submit those packages for inclusion in the official Fedora distribution. Steve will be blogging his progress at http://blog.stevecoinc.com/
- Juerd Waalboer is the maintainer of feather.perl6.nl, the primary host for Pugs development. Juerd will receive a microgrant to purchase upgraded hardware for feather.
- on vacation the week after YAPC (July 1-4)
- have worked more on NQP and I'm close to a checkin for that
- have also been answering miscellaneous questions regarding pdd15 and PAST.
- At YAPC there was some work done on the perl6 compiler, but I've been mostly working on cleaning up the compiler tools a bit (for pdd15 compatibility). My plan is to continue that and then get back to work on the Perl 6 test suite and getting more of those to pass.