Locally, we've been running Mail::SimpleList 0.79 or so for a couple of months. As we go, I've been finding bug fixes and necessary little enhancements. I intended to put out a release back in July, but a new feature just didn't sit right with me.
I hadn't been using source control, partly because I'm used to the minimum level of functionality found in CVS and partly because I don't want to set up my own Subversion server. (It's not in beta yet, but changesets and non-torturous file moves are so compelling, I'm willing to suffer the pain of a few upgrade swings now and then.)
It was pretty difficult to keep making changes around the mis-feature and I knew I'd eventually have to remove it.
Allison offered me an account on the Onyx Neon Subversion server. I imported my sources from the various release tarballs and migrated up, patch by patch. Yesterday, I took an hour or two to remove the doomed feature and wiggled the remaining patches into place.
The only remaining issue was adding an in-process help system. (Send an e-mail asking for help and receive instructions automatically.) Duplicating the documentation would be less than ideal, so I originally thought Pod::Usage would do the trick. I didn't want to send back all of the POD, though, as some applies only to developers.
Pod::Simple came to the rescue. I subclassed Pod::Simple::Text in a SAX-ish fashion to strip out only the POD I wanted. There is one regex to strip out blank lines; patches welcome.
The nice thing about Mail::SimpleList is how it simplifies creating and maintaining transitory groups. If you find yourself mangling CC lists on your e-mails, give it a shot.