NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.
All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report
Thursday July 31, 2003
It's been a while.
- OSCON came and went, taking one timesink off my hands. Next year will be easier.
- Simon's returned to Perl.com, so I'm no longer guest editor. That's another, albeit pleasant, timesink gone.
- Text::WikiFormat 0.70 is out, with much thanks to Kake for working with me to find bugs and add missing features and Andy H. for an excellent suggestion that took me a long time to understand but a short time to implement.
- Exegesis 6 is up on Perl.com, which required a lot of editing work on my part (not to touch the prose, just to get it prepped for publishing). I also defended Perl 6 and Parrot on Slashdot today. It's someone else's turn.
- My house is substantially cleaner, though I desperately need to go through Gnucash's tutorials and get my finances in better order.
- I created a "preload dynamic content" branch on Everything the other day. The idea is to speed up the site by precompiling all of the dynamic content necessary. It's taking a lot less trickery than you'd think, and it seems to be paying off. The real test will be cleaning things up after I'm satisfied that it's working.
- While tracking down odd errors in my branch, I realized that my installation was quite a bit out of date. The installer annoyed me (as nearly everything using the DOM does), so I refactored the installer and made it use XML::SimpleObject::LibXML instead. It's much nicer, but there's still room for improvement.
- Day-job-wise, it looks like the barrage of tasks will lighten up around the first week of September, giving me, perhaps, a little more time to do some development. On the other hand, I seem to have found myself editing two books, so it might just be a different type of busy!
- Schwern and I are meeting tomorrow to discuss an outline for the book we should have written last year. He's a first time author, but this is my fourth (or fifth, if you're really charitable), so it makes sense to me.
- I seem to have found myself putting together a TV show. It's a one-shot, full-hour local show. Excellent.
Stories, comments, journals, and other submissions on use Perl; are Copyright 1998-2006, their respective owners.