Slash Boxes
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

chrimble (2034)

  (email not shown publicly)

Journal of chrimble (2034)

Thursday July 24, 2003
05:46 AM


[ #13665 ]

I've been having a great time playing with Class::DBI these past few days. Although I've been vaguely aware of it for a while, I hadn't really considered using it till I read Kake's article on, and realised that it might be suitable for use in the project I'm currently working on (which had until that point used a more traditional vanilla DBI implementation).

Talk about straightforward - it took about two minutes to set up, and it all worked first time. If only everything were that easy. ;-)

There are only two things I still need to work out before I'm completely happy.

Firstly, it doesn't seem to want to play nicely with Apache::Reload, at least at first glance. So I'm back to an apache stop/start cycle, at least whenever I update the database declarations. Knowing me, I'm missing something blindingly obvious, but it'd still be nice to sort it out. Though in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big a deal.

The second issue is that I currently don't know exactly how much performance overhead it incurs, so I need to write some benchmarks. Whilst I have a feeling it's going to be quite a bit (considering what it does), I want to know exactly how much, as compared to plain DBI. OK, yeah, premature optimisation and all that, but it'd be nice to know what to expect before I start hammering it for real. ;-)

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • I just wrote one []

    Ilya Martynov ( [])

  • I've not noticed that there's a problem with this, but OTOH, I tend to develop my DB schema first, with tests all running from the command line. When I get around to mod_perl / mason development, the schema is rarely changed, so it's less of an issue.


    • I only noticed because I was playing about with the module and changing things to see how they worked - so it's not really a problem, more of a niggle. I wouldn't expect to be changing the schema much under a normal development cycle either. :-)