Not much progress on Matriarch. Every once in a while I make a code change that seems to not only screw everything else up, but once I remove it, things still don't work. Sigh. I did something to the sort routines that absolutely buggered the whole rest of it. Still loads, but all it really does is look pretty. I'm locating older code that I haven't infected with overeagerness and working from there. (These are the times when I try to remind myself that there's a still a whoooooole bunch of stuff I don't know, that mistakes are natural at this point, etc., and then make some ramen as comfort food.)
On the Linuxy front, I've done just about everything I can to try and make one friggin' 486 recognize its CDROM drive, and for whatever reason, this CDROM drive was constructed on Mars or by hyperintelligent aliens that don't speak language, they smell it or something, because nothing on God's green earth will recognize it short of the driver that Win95 works its magic with. It makes me think that I'm going to tear that thing out of there and give it a good beating someday, but it's not my hardware, so that's probably just a little dream I'll dream. Realistically, I believe there are other systems and other CDROM drives to install, so I'll probably just take one of those and be happy I don't have to keep chiseling away at this one drive.
Other than that, today I'll be learning about a past-tense security breach, deconstructing what happened to the system, and hopefully learning a little about repelling intruders on that golden system that I someday am trusted to administrate.
Later today I should be able to provide a rundown on how the security thing went.