Leader of Birmingham.pm [pm.org] and a CPAN author [cpan.org]. Co-organised YAPC::Europe in 2006 and the 2009 QA Hackathon, responsible for the YAPC Conference Surveys [yapc-surveys.org] and the QA Hackathon [qa-hackathon.org] websites. Also the current caretaker for the CPAN Testers websites and data stores.
If you really want to find out more, buy me a Guinness
After discovering Opera to be completely the wrong choice for using with Selenium, I've been trying to get it to work with other browsers. After properly installing Konqueror, I've now got it running with my tests in 82 seconds, beating IE on Windows. If only I'd taken the time to sort that out I wouldn't have felt so bad about my presentation at LUGRadio Live at the weekend.
Now that I've learnt how to try out other browsers, I decided to give some other low-key browers a try. The ones on my list were Epiphany, Dillo and Amaya. However, as all three are not part of the default list of supported browsers I have to use the '*custom' method of executing the browser. For all three I include the direct path to the binary executable and all three startup (better than what I get with the standard calls to Firefox at least). Unfortunately, none of them get much further. They all try and load my test URL, but all three display the following error:
The requested URL
/selenium-server/core/RemoteRunner.html was not found on this server.
I tried to google it, and found an unreplied to forums entry and then this on a Chinese forum. The reply doesn't quite make sense, as in my call passed by the Selenium RC server it does include the 'cmd=' at the beginning, and is the same for all the working calls to Opera and Konqueror. If I run Firefox as '*custom firefox -chrome' I get the same error. If I run '*chrome' or '*firefox' I get 'Preparing Firefox profile...' and the whole thing grinds to a halt. I'm wondering whether the above error is due to some problem with the '*custom' call itself, but again I've not found anything useful that gives me a clue.
If anyone has had better experiences with these browsers, please let me know. But at least I can now sanely present my Selenium talk with Konqueror