Leader of Birmingham.pm [pm.org] and a CPAN author [cpan.org]. Co-organised YAPC::Europe in 2006 and the 2009 QA Hackathon, responsible for the YAPC Conference Surveys [yapc-surveys.org] and the QA Hackathon [qa-hackathon.org] websites. Also the current caretaker for the CPAN Testers websites and data stores.
If you really want to find out more, buy me a Guinness
Third party libraries are troublesome at the best of times, but I don't usually have so much trouble as I did yesterday.
As the Google Calendar thing seems to be growing in popularity, I firstly wanted to create a Birmingham.pm version of our own ICS feed. My ultimate aim is to be able to automatically update Google Calendars that I have access to, when I add, amend or delete calendar entries for Birmingham Perl Mongers events.
So I set about installing muttley's Net::Google::Calendar. As I write most my development code on Windows, I started out trying to install it on my XP laptop. It became traumatic simply because of the libxml2 and ssleay libraries. I did manage to get both install evenutally, only to find the ssleay DLL doesn't work on XP.
Next up I tried on a remote Debian server. This time the xmllib2 library caused problems. Even though it was installed and was the latest version from the debian stable repository, XML-LibXML and XML-Atom couldn't find it!
Finally I tried my home Debian box. It seems running apt-get and cpan from the command line just got themselves in knots. I finally used synaptic this morning and installed the dependencies cleanly. Then ran cpan to install Net::Google::Calendar. Finally it worked!
Installation shouldn't be this troublesome. As far as I was aware synaptic is mostly a pretty wrapper around apt-get, so why the command line version kept failing to find libraries I have no idea. Hopefully I can get this installed on the new server we're planning for Birmingham.pm, so I can implement the Google Calendar automatic update features.