Leader of Birmingham.pm [pm.org] and a CPAN author [cpan.org]. Co-organised YAPC::Europe in 2006 and the 2009 QA Hackathon, responsible for the YAPC Conference Surveys [yapc-surveys.org] and the QA Hackathon [qa-hackathon.org] websites. Also the current caretaker for the CPAN Testers websites and data stores.
If you really want to find out more, buy me a Guinness
While in some areas Synaptic has proved useful, in all of the above I have to resort to attempting to compile from source. Unfortunately, various development tools, basic libraries and header files seem to be missing. Trying to configure, compile and install them has been far too troublesome for my liking. In fact the only ones I've managed to do successfully are Apache/modperl/modssl. And that was after a lot of work extricating Apache2 from the setup. If you don't do it manually, the dependancy tree goes haywire trying to uninstall virtually the whole distribution. I also don't like the fact that package dependencies don't seem to understand that perl5.8 is an upgrade from perl5.6. So many packages insist on uninstall perl5.8 and installing perl5.6. Extremely annoying.
There have been other problems too, such as the USB port not responding, and the battery monitor failing to report anything but 0%. Although this could be the way the kernal was compiled. I've tried to recompile the kernal with the latest version, but that has so far failed due to missing headers.
It feels like I have downgraded from RH9 rather than upgraded. I guess I'm just the wrong target market for Ubuntu.
I guess I'll be looking at downloading Fedora Core over the weekend. Although I do have a fairly recent Suse disk somewhere. Maybe I'll give that a go. I don't believe I could do worse. I don't feel brave enough to try a Gentoo install. The poor brick is likely to take a week just to compile the initial build!