This weekend I struggled to get CUPS working on my new Debian "Sarge" box at home. After trying twice I gave up, either nothing works at all (web interface), or I can install a printer, but nothing prints (command line interface). I even had quite a bit of help from my local LUG, but to no avail.
So I uninstalled it all, and added ye olde BSD LP package and the APS Magic filter, and it worked first time without a hitch!
This week I've got to get Samba configured, and Apache2 properly vhosting, but that's going to be easy I hope, the only snag may be getting mod_Perl running, which is a potential problem - I've not done Apache 2 and mod_Perl before.