This weekend I wrestled with the monstrosity that is is Microsoft's Internet Explorer. For my own sites I don't really care about IE, I design for the standards, and if it works in Mozilla, Opera and khtml then that's good enough for me. If it doesn't work in IE, I don't care, unless it's a bug in my xhtml or css I don't do IE.
However, for other people I have to care about IE, for even though it's the worst of all the modern browsers to work with, it is alas the most common. I think Mozilla Gecko, Opera and khtml based browsers are getting more popular, but they are starting from such a small installed base that they have yet to make a difference.
On Friday a friend at work asked me to fix his site for him and FTP it up to the server for him. So today I was removing the damage that FrontPage did to the HTML. He hadn't let FrontPage run riot over the site, and other than the frames it used, it wasn't to much effort to clean it up. I fixed some links, and added a simple style sheet - without changing the look and feel. The biggest battle I had with it was making it look okay on IE, Opera and Firefox were perfectly happy. IE is such a monster - it just doesn't do anything logical, and each version is quite distinct with it's list of faults!
Anyhow after reverting to some hacks*, I reached an acceptable compromise, and uploaded it to the server: www.hants.gov.uk/ramblersnhd/.
* Some of the hack sites I've found useful: