Today we installed some Java stuff on one of our recently upgraded Linux boxes. I don't hate Java, it just never seems to work for me and as I know very little about it, I've ended up with a very negative attitude towards Java.
First off we had to install an ancient version of Java, as the application isn't compatible with modern versions, so we start from a very slow and buggy base. Then we ran a very funky half Windows/half Unix installer, which was very quirky, but seemed to work. Then we copied some files from no where to somewhere, we thankfully figured out where to get the files, as it didn't mention where they came from in the instructions. Finally we started the service on the right port. To my amazement it actually worked first time.
It never ceases to cause wonderment when Java works, it seems to happen so infrequently for me!
Now all I have to do is figure out how Perl's SAP::Rfc works, and we can start to phase out this evil Java thing.....