Friday: Finally get some time to work on standalone SOAP clients. I study the interface and knock up a standalone command-line SOAP client in Perl in about 100 lines of code. You pass it the image you want to upload and it uploads it via web services (instead of say, web browser upload). Cool:
% bin/upload ~/sheep.jpg
I thought a graphical tool would be nice, so I grabbed the office copy of "Learning Perl/Tk" and got a quick Tk app together in about half an hour (it even has a progress bar!). Tk isn't the prettiest thing, but it does the job.
My next step was Wx (Wx/GTK to be more precise). The docs for WxPerl are somewhat lacking, but I dug around in the main WxWindows distribution and eventually got a very nice Wx app together. It looks a lot more polished: the file selector is better, and it has a really good progress dialog.
So that was Friday. I felt good, had built three programs and I loved SOAP. Monday was different. I tried to build apps in languages other than Perl to do the same thing. Granted, I'm a Perl programmer, but I thought it'd be easy.
I start off looking at Java. I download the Apache SOAP toolkit and it requires the Java mail API for reasons I fail to understand (but I don't want to use that!) so I skip and head over to The Mind Electric's Glue, which requires WSDL to do anything. We don't have a WSDL file yet. Next I try Python. I haven't done much Python programming, and I try SOAP.py and ZSI. The former fails most of its remote tests and the latter gives a weird error when connecting to our SOAP::Lite server. Arrrgggh. I though the point about SOAP was that it was SIMPLE. Apparently not. I've given up. I'll let Java and Python programmers do this instead. The pain... the pain...
[Oops, almost forgot] I also completely failed to install PerlTk and WxMac under Mac OS X. Oh, and Camelbones was way too scary