Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

Whiteknight (8626)

Whiteknight
  (email not shown publicly)
http://en.wikibo ... User:Whiteknight
AOL IM: wknight8111 (Add Buddy, Send Message)

My name's Andrew. I'm an open-content advocate at http://en.wikibooks.org. I'm also involved with Parrot as a semi-competent C hacker. This blog is going to be a forum where I can ramble about minutia and post information about perl-world stuff that I care about.

Journal of Whiteknight (8626)

Sunday August 03, 2008
07:33 AM

A few changes, and I'm stuck again

[ #37086 ]

My last blog post apparently didn't post. This use.perl interface is a little bit annoying to me (conversely, I am a little annoying to it). In my haste, I click the "Preview" button thinking it's a "Save" button, and then I close the window. Needless to say, nothing gets saved and my blog develops large gaps. Obviously it's a problem on my side of the keyboard, apparently I'm too set in my Wiki ways to become a good use.perl blogger.

The last week has seen a lot of work but, as usual, not a lot of visible progress. I ripped out the entire "card" aspect of my collector. It was adding a lot of needless complexity, it was consistently serving as a failure point in my design, and I couldn't prove that it was providing any net performance benefit. In fact, I'm decently certain that my particular implementation was a performance bottleneck. Once I get my collector to a more stable state, I can experiment with adding cards back in or other performance enhancements. Right now, I'm really focused on just getting a basic model to work.

Some of the problems I was having went away after I pulled out the cards. The problem was, I think, that somewhere my mapping from object to card and card to object wasn't a 1-to-1 mapping. Removing this showed immediate improvements in the performance of my collector, at least for a while.

Of course, we trade one problem for another, and after getting the cards pulled out I developed a compile-time bug. This compile-time bug wasn't located anywhere inside my collector, however, it was manifesting itself as a series of undefined datatype errors in the IMCC header files. This appears to have occured after running an innocuous "make headerizer", and now I can't seem to pinpoint exactly what's causing the error.

I won't have much time to continue my investigation again until later this evening. Hopefully I'll find some answers tonight so I can get moving forward with my work again.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • The problem I'm having is that the forward declaration for the datatype "IMC_Unit" seems to be missing or misplaced. I went through and manually replaced all instances of "IMC_Unit" with "struct _IMC_Unit" instead. It's not a stable solution because it will get messed up next time I run "make headerizer". However, it does let the build proceed.

    However, now the compiler hangs while building PGE/builtins_gen.pir, which is a common point of failure for me in the build process. I'm trying to figure out now wher

    --
    Andrew Whitworth