"Be it a song or a casual conversation
To hold my tongue speaks
Of quiet reservations"
-- Guns 'N' Roses
A smatter of matters:
I've finally found a house. Among the nightmares associated with this process was this little gem: the credit card charge to pay the potential lender for the credit check and the appraisal triggered my credit card's fraud department, who rejected the charge (without explanation to the mortgage company). Try explaining that one to the underwriting department.
I've moved up in the world, so to speak. Now that I'm out of the office which has operational control of the enterprise application servers, I finally have time to spend on the Perl baseline I manage (which is hosted on the very same servers). How ironic! I'm finally getting around to integrating 5.8.0 into the mix. For my new job - enterprise architecture - I finally had cause to track the usage of these enterprise servers. (Applications are NFS automounted from various workstations and servers across the CAN, as well as synced with when the networks or cachefs aren't robust enough.) Solaris has long had a problem with not registering auto-unmounts, so the stats are flushed nightly to track usage. (There are alternate methods of tracking application usage, but for various tools, I don't like the additional overhead, so showmount is sufficient for my purposes.) As far as mounting from the servers, Perl, by far, leads the pack, with over 20,000+ unique clients daily. I know there are another thousand or so that copy the tree locally, but we don't have an accounting for those yet, nor for the servers that sit behind firewalls and mirror the applications for their network segments. (By comparison for scripting languages, TCL rates about 80 unique clients daily, and there is no corporate Python load.) I don't know if I would have taken on the job of CM for the corporate Perl load if I had known the true scope. I'm surprised none of my management hacks have broken anything (major) yet.
Don't forget to reset your clocks if you're making the switch tonight.
My Sun Blade 100 has gone hebephrenic. I've got an Ultra 5 to fall back on, but I haven't been doing much work anyway.
My friend (whose SETI stats I've been padding) broke 10,000 units. Combined, we're chugging out about 28 units a day.
I've stopped listening to CNN and started listening to al-Jazeera at work in an effort to get my language skills back. One good thing about the war coverage, it uses a lot of military vocab, which seems to be the majority of what I've retained. Anyway, I've been told I may want to be prepared.
Latest workings: multi-layer security (and programming paradigms for the same) and secure multicasting.