At my current client, we're supposed to develop the new data warehouse on Oracle. The problem is that the new hardware for it won't be here for another month.
I realized earlier this week that Oracle offers free development licenses for prototyping, so I grabbed a copy and brought it up on my WinXP box yesterday. The Oracle installer is a slow, nasty, Java application that takes forever, and has an awful UI. But hey, this is just for my own development, so I don't mind playing DBA in a pinch.
After it finished, I was testing connectivity, and I decided to see if DBI would work. Imagine my surprise when I got all kinds of binary incompatibility errors just from typing
perl -MDBI -de 1!
Turned out the nasty installer had put a complete copy of perl 5.6.1 under the Oracle tree, and pointed
PERL5LIB to it. Which, of course, made my 5.8.4 install puke. They have some system install scripts written in Perl, and apparently decided it was OK to bring the whole thing over rather than seeing if I had perl installed already. Their scripts don't appear to have any XS code either, so it's nothing a
use lib or a
use v5.6 wouldn't have fixed. After I fixed PATH and PERL5LIB, everything's ran fine.
All I could think of was, "How rude!" If you're going to stomp on my box, at least tell me where....