I spent most of the past several days working on a new Perldoc. It's mostly a refactoring and modularization of the old one, plus adding one or two new features. Most of the things being added are minor -- like a switch to force output to be sent right to STDOUT, not via a pager; a switch to have Perldoc report its version; and a switch to allow specifying a filename to write output to. But the one sort of major thing is pulling out the code that hardwired Pod::Text and Pod::Man as the only formatter classes, and replacing it with code that allows the user to specify anything as the formatter class. All the old switches will work as before, pretty much. But the new features should be handy, and the newly organized code should be a godsend for anyone trying to maintain the code.
Once that's done, I should try to finish up the last bit of HTML-Format and send up a new release, and then see if I can work on Pod::Simple more before it's time to go away for a month and work on Secret Project R.
But I took today (Sunday) off, and cooked and cooked (sweet potatoes, wild rice, chole, etc etc), and went and fixed my friend Melissa's TV/Tivo/DVD/VCR setup -- it turns out that one of the S-Video cables had a bent pin, sending everything to Kabluistan. A little nudging on the cable and all is well.
While I was at her place, I tried out her DVD player's claim that it could play "MP3 CDs" -- i.e., CDROMs that contain MP3s. It indeed could play such CDROMs, but it could only see their short MSDOS filenames, and flattened the directory structure before alpha-sorting by (8.3) basename. So the track list that the DVD player presented a menu of, was like: 01_ARIET~ 01_FRANC~ 01_MISS_~ 01_THE_R~ and so on. Better than nothing, but a bit confusing.