HTML::FormatPS looked like it had more big trouble -- after pagebreaks, it was printing all sorts of things outside the cut marks (which appear only in trace/debug mode, not in normal use). I thought this was a whole slew of bugs in all the constructs to do with the kinds of structures that get mangled by pagebreaks. But lo, it turned out to be just a weensy little bug with the code that printed the cut marks! Easily fixed. Happy day!
Meanwhile, in writing HTML::FormatRTF, I pretty much had it working, except for one or two little bugs. When I fixed the bugs, the whole thing totally stopped working. It was not just a matter of pulling at a thread and having the whole sweater unravel into a heap of yarn -- it was more like pulling a thread, having the whole sweater unravel until a heap of yarn, then realizing that there had been no sweater at all, but merely seven noncontiguous clouds of free-floating yarn which, thru coincidence and forced perspective, seemed to form a sweater.
But in time, I got it all set right.