So today, looking for a break from working on the book, I decided to skim the Apache/MP3.pm source to see what's involved in internationalizing it. I didn't see anything terribly scary, so I replaced a phrase or two, and started a new module to contain the localization base class that Locale::Maketext needs.
I typed the fateful words:
And an hour later... it all works!
It's localized to English, and to my very clunky French -- I had to make up a term for "streaming" that might actually mean INSEMINATION. But it's just a test until I get some native speakers to look at it.
It turns out that there's only about thirty phrases in a complete %Lexicon for Apache::MP3!
I'll shelve it until the book is turned in, and then I'll give the code a review, and then start looking for people who want to provide translations into various languages.