So I started making a dist for Pod::Simple yesterday. I thought, fine, I'll just click the modules into place, drop in their tests, they'll all run happily, and everything will be good.
Pod::Simple::Search uses File::Find and normally they communicate happily -- but they stop communicating happy at all when one of the items in @INC is a symlink; then all hell breaks loose. And possibly also when there's a symlink in one of the items in @INC.
So I had to throw out all the code for interfacing with File::Find, and I simply wrote my own directory-walker, with the exact interface I needed, instead of jumping thru hoops to accomodate File::Find's interface.
My code ended up much better in the end, and now all the tests pass, but that bit that I thought would take a minute or two, took all night. So today it's back to work on getting that dist out.