I have abstracted out all of the callback processing and execution code from my MasonX::ApacheHandler::WithCallbacks module to a new module, Params::CallbackRequest. This enables me to keep the callback code independent of the Mason architecture, and thus work it in to other templating systems. Look for the addition of callbacks to Template Toolkit next! This change necessitated some breakage of backwards compatibility, but nothing that can't be changed with some simple regex work.
In tandem with the above change, I have also completed my conversion of my Mason callback subclass from ApacheHandler to Interp. This means that the callbacks can be used in any Mason context, not just with mod_perl. MasonX::ApacheHandler::WithCallbacks is hereby deprecated, and will soon be deleted from CPAN (though you'll still be able to get it from BackPAN). Many thanks to the Mason development team for accepting my multitude of patches to make HTML::Mason::Interp more subclassable. A result of this change, however, is that MasonX::Interp::WithCallbacks requires Mason 1.23 or later.
These modules are making their way to CPAN now, but you can get them here if you're impatient:
Here's a complete list of the changes to get you started:
- Code moved over from MasonX::ApacheHandler::WithCallbacks, which is deprecated. Differences from that class are as follows.
- Callback handling code from MasonX::ApacheHandler::WithCallbacks has been migrated to Params::CallbackRequest.
- Code from MasonX::CallbackHandler has been migrated to Params::Callback.
- MasonX::CallbackTester has been removed, since it isn't necessary in a non-mod_perl environment.
- Params::CallbackRequest::Exceptions supplies the exceptions thrown by Params::CallbackRequest, since that module is not strictly connected to Mason.
- Changed the request_args() accessor from MasonX::CallbackHandler to params() in Params::Callback, to reflect the idea that this is a generic parameter-triggered callback architecture.
- Replaced the ah() accessor, since the callback controller isn't a Mason ApacheHandler anymore, with cb_request() in Params::Callback.
- Added cb_request() accessor to MasonX::Interp::WithCallbacks.
- Replaced the "exec_null_cb_values" parameter from MasonX::ApacheHandler::WithCallbaks, which had defaulted to true, with "ignore_nulls" in Params::CallbackRequest, which defaults to false.
- Added Params::CallbackRequest notes() interface, which copies all notes to the Mason request notes() interface before the request executes.