Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

Skud (28)

Skud
  (email not shown publicly)
http://infotrope.net/
AOL IM: skud11111 (Add Buddy, Send Message)
Yahoo! ID: skud11111 (Add User, Send Message)

Journal of Skud (28)

Monday March 19, 2007
06:58 AM

PAUSE problems

[ #32741 ]

Ever have one of those days where you have a great idea, implement it, then completely forget that the implementation exists? Perhaps it's just me.

Last October I had a not-particularly-brilliant idea about how to deal with a website I was working on for a friend. I figured I needed something like Template::Toolkit's "ttree" tool, but since HTML::Mason is my drug of choice I wanted a similar tool for Mason.

That's why I wrote MasonX::StaticBuilder, and uploaded it to CPAN. And while I waited for it to wend its way from PAUSE to CPAN proper, I went off and did some other things, and got sidetracked, and to be honest I kind of forgot about it til now.

What? It's only six months!

Suffice it to say that I haven't actually found a need for MasonX::StaticBuilder since October, and haven't missed it at all. Which is just as well, as it seems it never made it to my search.cpan.org author page (http://search.cpan.org/~skud/).

Googling for the module name shows that it's turned up at cpan.org (http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/S/SK/SKUD/) and at cpantesters (http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.cpan.testers/2006/10/msg364084.html) but not on search.cpan.org. The cpan.org URL shows that the .tar.gz is there but there's no readme file extracted. Odd.

So I went to PAUSE and told it to force a re-index, but that doesn't seem to help.

Anyone know what might be up?

Not that it's the end of the world either way, but it seems like I've got an awful lot of 5+ year old cruft and nastiness in my directory, and it'd be nice to have the more recent, less horrible stuff at least show up.

(The same problem seems to have affected Test-File-Contents-0.04 and Test-Mail-0.04 which I uploaded on the same day (both being just packaging cleanups and the like). This afternoon I uploaded Test-Mail-0.05 which superceded 0.04 and dealt with the problem in a roundabout way, so it seems that re-uploading with an incremented version number would be a workaround for MX::SB, but I'd really prefer to find out what the hell went wrong the first time, if I can.)

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • This can happen if the module name can't be found in the files I think. Or if the VERSION value can't be parsed. Something like that. We really need a "make lint" stage :-)
    • I'll look into it, but I don't believe that's the case. I'm not CPAN guru but I do know how to build a package. IIRC I used Module::Starter for the ones I uploaded in October, and I built the tarballs using "make dist" and "make disttest" and everything was fine then. I'll probably just re-upload.
      --
      Kirrily "Skud" Robert perl@infotrope.net http://infotrope.net/
  • The file isn't a tar.gz:

    tony@develop-help:~$ tar tzf /mnt/hdc2/ftp/pub/cpan/authors/id/S/SK/SKUD/MasonX-StaticBuilder-0.01.tar.gz

    gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    tony@develop-help:~$ file /mnt/hdc2/ftp/pub/cpan/authors/id/S/SK/SKUD/MasonX-StaticBuilder-0.01.tar.gz
    /mnt/hdc2/ftp/pub/cpan/authors/id/S/SK/SKUD/MasonX-StaticBuilder-0.01.tar.gz: HTML document text

    From looking at it, you've got some sort of HTML wrapper around the act

    • Ha! OK, that explains it. It's convoluted and stupid but I know what happened. I was working on the modules over on my hosted server, and rather than do the file upload to PAUSE as I usually do, I chucked the files in a web-accessible tmp directory and pointed PAUSE at the URL. But around that time, I'd screwed with HTML::Mason on my website to tell it to handle all files except those explicitly excluded. I excluded JPGs and CSS and crap like that, but I probably didn't explicitly exclude tarballs. So
      --
      Kirrily "Skud" Robert perl@infotrope.net http://infotrope.net/