Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

Shlomi Fish (918)

Shlomi Fish
  shlomif@iglu.org.il
http://www.shlomifish.org/
AOL IM: ShlomiFish (Add Buddy, Send Message)
Yahoo! ID: shlomif2 (Add User, Send Message)
Jabber: ShlomiFish@jabber.org

I'm a hacker of Perl, C, Shell, and occasionally other languages. Perl is my favourite language by far. I'm a member of the Israeli Perl Mongers, and contribute to and advocate open-source technologies. Technorati Profile [technorati.com]

Journal of Shlomi Fish (918)

Monday December 01, 2008
12:18 PM

XML::RSS-1.40 - Now with a Lot of Array Goodness

[ #37996 ]

After going over some of the recent and not-so-recent XML::RSS bugs, I noticed a common pattern of people wanting support for replicable XML elements. What they wanted was that when two elements with identical names were specified (in many RSS use cases where doing this would make sense), then the value pointed by the keyname would become a reference to an array instead of just concatenated together in an unhelpful manner.

In the past days, I decided to work on this meta-problem in one concentrated swoop. I naturally had to implement it in several places for both output and parsing, though tended to do them in separate commits.

XML-RSS version 1.40 contains the result of this effort. I should note that some use-cases for multiple tags probably won't do the right thing, and the internal code has garnered some ugliness. I ended up extracting some methods, but I can still be happier from the quality of code. I suppose I can always refactor it later.

All of this work reduced the number of active bugs in XML-RSS to 3, which I intend to deal with shortly, if all goes well.

In other news, I released a new version of WWW::Search::MSN, which has been adapted to the new HTML generated by the MSN search. The hardest part in the process, was figuring out how to instruct the libwww-perl that the WWW::Search front-end used to send a "Language:" header to cancel the location-based localisation.

That was my boring "recent hacktivity" report. You may now go on with whatever you did earlier.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.