As a followup to this post about "make test in maintperl-5.8.x Fails on Linux", I should note that we have investigated it on perl5-porters in the past days. After a little investigation, I realised that there was a stray "SysV.pm" file in my perl-5.8.x tree, which caused all the problems.
As it turned out, it was not removed because I used "rsync -auvz" to synchronise the tree (as instructed in the perl5-porters FAQ) instead of "rsync -auvz --delete-after", which removes the no-longer present files. After running rsync with --delete-after, and building again - "make test" was successful.
"Another crisis was solved!".