After learning some Ruby on Rails from the O'Reilly-Net tutorial, I went over the Perl.com Catalyst Tutorial. Then I decided that I'll write an application in it in order to learn it better.
So I began to write it. It took me two or three days and right now I only have a record display page, an edit form and an addition form for one of the tables. Part of it is because I'm not very familiar with Class::DBI and other technologies Catalyst is making use of. Hopefully I'll become more familiar with everything as I invest more time.
Meanwhile, I discovered a misbehaviour in the Catalyst core: trailing slashes
in the PATH_INFO are ignored. So
split, which throws away components
that are empty from the end. A Patch I wrote to change it to
rejected after I was told some people may depend on this erroneous
I was instructed to write a Plugin instead, which I did. A problem I encountered was that this call to split appeared right at the beginning of a much larger function. I wrote another patch, to extract a method with this, but it was rejected because they did not want to clutter the API.
has to duplicate the code of the function, extract a method out of it, and
then override this method. <sigh