It appears the project is still a go. We're still refactoring existing code and we now have a unit test suite of almost 500 tests, though it will certainly surpass that by the end of today. The person who wrote L'ane did some good work, but some of it seems to have been thrown together rather hastily. Of course, we're doing to the same thing, so I have no room to criticize.
The unit tests are good, but I'm anxious to get to the integration testing so we can see if this thing will actually do stuff. Currently, there have been a few issues with the unit tests which would pretty much ensure that integration tests will fail, but I've fixed those that I've found.
Hopefully, we'll have a register with card reader and scanner set up and running in the next couple of days. In the meantime, after I finish a bit of work on the "sales" object, I'm apparently going to be working on the credit card authorization software. Stay tuned!