Previously I ranted a bit about the Yahoo! IDIF "specification". I now see that I didn't read it as carefully as I should have. Today Yahoo! let me know that I had not implemented IDIF correctly. Here are some clarifications.
Title: Used for displaying the title in the search results. This field should be approximately 50-70 characters.
This actually means "title must be a maximum of 80 characters".
Description: [...] This component should be approximately 180 characters.
This actually means "description must be a maximum of 180 characters".
Body: Longer description of the page. Used for searching and ranking purposes only.
This actually means "body must be a maximum of 1000 characters".
Silly me. I must read more carefully in the future.
IDIF was originally an Inktomi technology which Yahoo! acquired. Had Yahoo! merely taken the time to update the specification document, much of this pain could be avoided.