Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

Ovid (2709)

Ovid
  (email not shown publicly)
http://publius-ovidius.livejournal.com/
AOL IM: ovidperl (Add Buddy, Send Message)

Stuff with the Perl Foundation. A couple of patches in the Perl core. A few CPAN modules. That about sums it up.

Journal of Ovid (2709)

Friday October 17, 2003
04:24 PM

5.8.1 Pain

[ #15262 ]

While working on the migration path towards 5.8.1, I find myself constantly stumbling over minor problems that are causing big problems. For a while, I've been trying to figure out why this weird pseudo-hash which is being exported all over the place (aargh! Encapsulation is being violated for performance reasons) isn't behaving nicely. As it turns out, it's because Class::MethodMaker has been subclassed to implement chained mutators, but the actual implementation overrode a private method whose behavior has changed.

In the process of debugging, I've tried to run the code under both 5.6.1 and 5.8.1 and confess() a bunch of Data::Dumper'ed data -- only to discover that both Carp and Data::Dumper have had their output formatting altered enough to make diffs rather problematic.

I now have most of the code running, though. I just need to track down one program runs which fine under 5.6.1 and segfaults under 5.8.1 ...

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.
  • regarding diff's and Data::Dumper, there is a option in there to sort the keys of the hash dump's. It works for me...
    --
    life is too short
    • or use YAML ;
    • by Ovid (2709) on 2003.10.17 17:34 (#24959) Homepage Journal

      I'm familiar with ordering the has keys. The problem stems from this note in the CHANGES file for Data::Dumper:

      =item 2.11  (unreleased)

      C<0> is now dumped as such, not as C<'0'>.

      That's the problem that's killing me, but there's probably a simple setting that I overlooked :)

      As a side note, the segfault was being caused by my having a PERL5LIB environment variable silently pointing to my personal CPAN directory. That directory has a version of Storable compiled for 5.6.1 which, as we know, is not binary compatible with 5.8.1.