I am enrolled at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online working towards a Bachelor of Science in photography.
My other blog [blogspot.com]
Two or three weeks back I made a big leap. I switched from Windows XP Pro to Ubuntu as my primary desktop OS. World of Warcraft and the Cosmos addon updater were my big hold ups but since I managed to get both of them running under Wine I just couldn't resist.
Shortly after making the switch I decided to get a script written that would automatically check my Gmail account for CPAN Uploads and write them to disk as scripts (a batch file for Windows and a bash script for linux) that could be executed at a later time. I used an IMAP module that eludes me at the moment and the whole thing took ten minutes (including a few test runs). Previously I had one that ran on Windows but the Gmail module I was using fails ever since Gmail started rolling out the 2.0 changes so my CPAN Uploads folder had a few hundred uploads in it. I ran the script and it completed in a flash.
I dropped the Windows batch file in a Samba share and went to the bedroom to run the script on my laptop that's running Windows Vista. Everything was going smoothly so I left. A few hours later I go back to check on the progress and I find that the module installations had started failing at some point. I scrolled back and found the culprit. When I wrote the IMAP script I forgot to skip the Perl-Dist uploads and it dutifully tried to install Perl-Dist-VanillaPerl which hosed my configurations. D'oh!
Since it's Windows Vista system I don't want to go to the hassle of installing Strawberry Perl 5.8.8 since there is so much manual stuff to do to fix MinGW after the fact. So I can't wait for the next release of Strawberry Perl which I hope will fix the MinGW issues with Vista.