Tuesday March 29, 2005
Module::Build first impressions
After reading Schwern's rant this morning, I decided I would bite the bullet and convert a simple distro over from EU::MM to Module::Build. Here are a few things I noticed:
- In this trivial case, the conversion was relatively straight-forward.
- With EU::MM, the auto-generated META.yml file is auto-added to your MANIFEST; however, this is not the case with Module::Build (thus resulting in a warning about a missing META.yml when first running
- Also, auto-generated README and Makefile.PL files are auto-added to the MANIFEST (which is a recent development).
- My old hand-made README files had an INSTALLATION section. I've decided to replicate this section (and add Module::Build instructions) in the pod (thus it ends up in the README again).
- On win32 (at least),
perl Build dist produces a messed up dist (via Archive::Tar, I guess) -- to use command line tools instead use (assuming they're in the path):
perl Build dist --tar tar --gzip gzip
- The Makefile.PL produced by
create_makefile_pl => 'traditional' worked flawlessly.
Overall things went really smoothly. I plan on converting all of my modules over as I push out new releases. However, I will continue to generate traditional Makefile.PL's for the time being.