Looks like CPAN is alive again.
This means that version 0.02 of Image::XBin is online. I fixed some nasty errors including the name of the module and an incorrect prerequisite in the Makefile.PL script.
You can now actually save XBin files -- uncompressed only -- but it works loading a once compressed XBin and saving it as an uncompressed one. I hope to try an RLE algorithm soon. The XBin RLE is a bit funky because you're only supposed to do it on a line by line basis.
And, on an unrelated note, I went out this weekend and got $60 bucks worth of spare parts needed to make another machine. I got a decent case for $20 since it was damaged in shipping. The dent was easily repaired. I now have another Trustix box (750MHz machine, rather than 166