Stories
Slash Boxes
Comments
NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.

All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report

use Perl Log In

Log In

[ Create a new account ]

Journal of LTjake (4001)

Friday June 13, 2003
02:22 PM

perl modules, IIS, RSS, and optimization

[ #12797 ]

The RSS aggregator that I've been talking about is moving along well.

There's one catch. It's running on IIS and it seems to drive the CPU usage to 100% whenever it runs. Ack.

The following modules are loaded via use statements in my app:

  • CGI::Application
  • CGI::Simple
  • Cache::FileCache
  • XML::Simple
  • XML::RSS

Of course, this means that there's more behind the scenes (like HTML::Template for CGI::App). I think my biggest problem was that, for every feed in the config file I was creating a new XML::RSS object. I've changed that to limit only the feeds that are to be displayed. I've also added the feed title to the config file so I don't have to load any feeds on the customization screen.

I'm considering further optimization by pre-parsing the feeds - but, since the user can select an arbitrary "max items" number, I'll have to generate one for 1..scalar @items. But that would eliminate the need to load XML::RSS and create a new object per feed.

I still need to make some other changes like:

  • stripping html from descriptions (not a problem right now because they're all local feeds)
  • properly handling dates
  • dc:subject handling
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
 Full
 Abbreviated
 Hidden
More | Login | Reply
Loading... please wait.