NOTE: use Perl; is on undef hiatus. You can read content, but you can't post it. More info will be forthcoming forthcomingly.
All the Perl that's Practical to Extract and Report
Thursday July 11, 2002
Desktop of my dream
I've just noticed KDE 3.1alpha announcement
are very slick and I start fill urge for upgrade (I still use 2.2).
On the other hand while my desktop is KDE I almost do not use any KDE applications and don't depend on it. All I need from my desktop to fill myself at home is:
- Window manager with multiple desktops and focus follow mouse feature. Kwin is ok but there are zillon window managers that provide similar features.
- Pager which shows content of desktops. Nearly all window managers with multiple desktops support have them.
- Clipboard manager like klipper.
- Terminal emulator (app I use %15 of my time). Konsole rocks but xterm is ok too.
- Emacs (app I use %50 of my time).
- Web browser (app I use %25 of my time). Konqueror is ok but mozilla is a bit less buggy (though it is slower).
- Something to play mp3 and ogg. Noatun is fine but it could be replaced with xmms without any problems.
See? I could easily downgrade to KDE 1.1.2 without any inconvinence or even dump it in favor of something else.
I guess I will wait with upgrade and I'll patiently wait for 3.1 release and "offical" .debs. It may take ages though :)
Stories, comments, journals, and other submissions on use Perl; are Copyright 1998-2006, their respective owners.