Friday November 06, 2009
Strawberry Perl October 2009 has been released.
The major additions to Strawberry Perl for October 2009 are:
- We now provide 5.10.1 instead of 5.10.0 (5.8.9 is still available, as well.)
- We now include DB_File, so that BioPerl will install.
- Module::Signature and Crypt::SSLeay are now installed, as well as other crypto modules, so that we have support for signing CPAN modules (and checking the signature of CPAN modules) and for https: web sites.
- We now include DBD::Pg and the Postgres client library, so that PostgreSQL databases can be used without any other software installed.
- We now separate Strawberry-installed modules from the modules you install. Because of this, future versions may be able to not have to delete
all the modules that you install.
Of course, report any bugs you encounter with Strawberry itself, or any enhancements you'd like to see, to the appropriate places, and download it at http://strawberryperl.com/
Friday July 31, 2009
Strawberry Perl July 2009 Release Announcement
Well, the Strawberry Perl for Windows website has been up and advertising the July 2009 release for 8 hours now, and the release has been up for over 20 hours. It's time to announce that fact to the Perl community at large.
This IS the biggest change that has happened to Strawberry Perl yet, and a lot more has changed than just the installer format. The installer format change allows Strawberry Perl to do things that weren't easily possible before - such as allowing installation across entire organizations - and more will be possible in the next few releases.
To get it, just go to strawberryperl.com.
From the release page:
- The largest update to Strawberry ever!
- 4th-generation WiX-based toolkit Perl::Dist::WiX.
- New .msi installer, allowing numerous improvements.
- Installable across entire organisations via Active Directory.
- Uninstall now removes environment values correctly.
- Uninstall now removes post-install CPAN modules correctly.
- Start menu now has cleaned up and correct icons.
- Big improvements to built-in modules.
- All Perl 5.10.1 CPAN auto-upgrade features now included.
- CPANPLUS is now pre-configured correctly (but not yet the default).
- By popular demand, DBD::mysql is available in the default install.
Most dual-life modules are upgraded to their current versions from the CPAN, and local::lib is included in Strawberry Perl now.
The .msi installers will require that you are an administrator in order to install on the machine - they make global changes to environment variables and registry entries.
And yes, if you're wondering why Alias is not announcing it, it's because he's left it up to me (Curtis Jewell, CSJewell on IRC and on the CPAN) to announce, and is making me the new maintainer of Strawberry Perl. That way, he has more time to code! I'll introduce myself in a blog post in the near future on csjewell.dreamwidth.org. Don't worry, the download locations will still be the same as before.
Tuesday May 19, 2009
Beta-testing the .msi installer for Strawberry Perl...
I've created some "Beta-test" MSI installers for Strawberry Perl - they're available at http://csjewell.comyr.com/perl/strawberryperlbeta.html for you to test out, hammer on, etc.
If more people do this than just me, July's Strawberry Perl will hopefully be just great!
For production Perl programming environments, you'll still probably want to go to http://strawberryperl.com/ (or to ActiveState, if that works for you) to get your Perl fix on Windows.
Otherwise, let me know of any problems you have!
Wednesday April 29, 2009
Perl::Dist::WiX 0.180 has been released!
Alias requested a couple of things before I was finished with Perl::Dist::WiX so that he could use it for April, and I had one thing I wanted to do. Those have now been implemented, and 0.180 will be used to make the beta .msi's for April 2009 Strawberry.
Monday April 13, 2009
It's been a while since I wrote in this journal...
- I have a Twitter with announcements of when modules are uploaded to CPAN, when my Perl page is updated, etc. (Release automation does those, but other things will be posted as well) It'll be more up-to-date than this. For this purpose, follow @CSJewellPerl
- Speaking of modules, Perl::Dist::WiX is "all-but-final" for its intended use in creating the April 2009 release of Strawberry Perl. I'm testing a branch of Strawberry that uses it right now, and once that's completed, I'll take a day or two to polish things up and make sure that everything works before recommending it to Alias for that use.
Monday February 23, 2009
Just uploaded the first "real" version of Perl::Dist::WiX
Well, just uploaded Perl::Dist::WiX 0.13_04 to the CPAN - should be at your local $CPAN/author/id/C/CS/CSJEWELL/Perl-Dist-WiX-0.13_04.tar.gz within the next day or two.
It's still a development version for the nonce, but should soon be a stable version.
Finally! :) (sigh of relief)
Saturday February 14, 2009
Perl::Dist::WiX is almost done!
I know I've said that before, but it is finally getting there.
I now have a test structure that exercises a good portion of the module(s) as of Thursday or so.
Now it's time for cleanup so that when I look at it again "in six months" I can read it!
When it passes its tests again afterwards, I'll hopefully be releasing it!
Friday January 30, 2009
This is my first post on "this" journal. My personal journal is at curtis.livejournal.com.
If you're wondering who I am, perl-wise, my pause ID is CSJEWELL, and I released one module previously (that patched another module - it hasn't been updated because the module in question included the code a few months later)
Right now, I'm working on Perl::Dist::WiX, which can be downloaded from Alias' repository at present. It'll probably be "first pass" releasable early next week.
I've been to one YAPC (the 2002 one, in St. Louis) so far. Can't afford it (which is saying something!)
I've got to run, but will post again soon.