That would be me!
I updated the source on our FreeBSD server at work from 5.2.1 to 5.3, and subsequently recompiled the operating system. I'd never had one of these go awry before, and while I realized that the version of BIND was upgraded, my research led me to believe that my current configuration was ok. Damn was I wrong!
When I rebooted the machine, named failed to start, and subsequently any services that needed name resolution failed to start. I booted single user, but much to my dismay, the root filesystem booted read-only. So I mounted another filesystem, copied what I needed to boot single-user over to it, then rebooted into single-user again on the new filesystem. I mounted my real filesystem and started digging in. Turns out named no longer liked being passed a -g option. Oops. Changed the named parameters, rebooted, and voila, everything worked!
So my 5 minute reboot led to an hour of downtime and fun. Go me.
Anyway, after that I got onto a roll... Got Subversion installed on our development server, updated Apache and mod_perl (VERY out of date!), and got webmail running for all of the domains we host. Patched all of our internal servers too. So after my original fuckup it turned out to be a productive day
OpenWebmail is pretty cool. Wish it supported mod_perl over Speedy CGI though