Saturday September 23, 2006
Alien:: modules have escaped
I've just uploaded some Alien:: modules onto
my Perl modules webpage. They aren't really fit for a CPAN release yet, mostly because I've only tested them on Win32 and geared them mostly for nmake and MSVC (7), but they are there, and comments (or adopters) are welcome.
- Alien::Zlib - this is a fork of Kane's Alien::Zlib, because his version doesn't build/work on Win32, and I need ::Zlib as a prerequisite for other Alien:: modules, which his API doesn't provide.
- Alien::Iconv - the iconv library, the second prerequisite to Alien::XML::LibXML
- Alien::XML::LibXML - the libxml2 library, packaged so that it can be used in theory to install XML::LibXML and XML::LibXML::Common via CPAN. The Makefile.PL of XML::LibXML and XML::LibXML::Common need to be patched, the patched versions are included.
- Alien::Libjpeg - libjpeg, as usable for Imager
- Alien::Giflib - giflib, as usable for Imager
- Alien::Libpng - libpng, as usable for Imager
All modules follow the same concept that Jos laid out with his Alien::Zlib release. The complete steps of downloading and building
the external library are done from within Makefile.PL and the external libraries
are then installed below the module.