Today I worked on improving the test coverage for my new Perl::Critic policies. I do most of my Perl development on my G5 iMac at home. On that machine,
Build testcover takes 40 minutes for the full Perl::Critic test suite.
I found it to actually save time to commit my changes, open up my x86 MacBook, run
svn update and run
Build testcover on that hardware. The
testcover action takes only 16 minutes on that machine.
Of course, the iMac's fans are nearly silent during that process while the MacBook whirs noisily.
I got quite a few of the new policies up to 100% coverage and the rest are generally in the vicinity of 95%. Of P::C's 121 core policies, 75 now have 100% code coverage which I think is a great accomplishment.