A freelance software engineer with experience in webapplications, databases and bioinformatics.
A contributor to Parrot and the person behind Pipp.
A physicist who worked with third sound in Helium-III and CCD X-ray detectors.
barney on irc.perl.org
github: http://github.com/bschmalhofer [github.com]
XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Bernhard_Schmalhofer [xing.com]
On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 0.6.4 "St. Vincent Amazon." Parrot is a virtual machine aimed at running dynamic languages.
Parrot 0.6.4 is available via CPAN (soon), or follow the download instructions. For those who would like to develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using Subversion on our source code repository to get the latest and best Parrot code.
Parrot 0.6.4 News:
+ removed a lot of old information from the FAQ
+ improved function level documentation
+ removed the configuration item 'has_gnu_m4'
+ refactored ICU-detection
- improved the Smalltalk implementation
- renamed Plumhead to Pipp
- support for a lot of builtin functions.
- Pipp now uses PHP specific data types.
- converted from PCT with TGE to PCT with NQP actions
- improvements in the PCT variant by using optok parsing
- start of object support
- simple assignments work
- added a PCT-based implementation of JSON parsing
- improved handling of symbols
- added support for block handling
- added support for globals
- more tests
- updated Range implementation
- added enums
- added generic type declarations (::T)
- added runtime mixing of roles with 'does' and 'but'
- added generic type declarations
- fixed handling of implicit lexicals ($_, $!, and $/)
- fixed implicit method calls on $_
- improved complex math builtins, added Complex
- moved many builtins to class Any
- declaration of lists of variables now work
- improved test infrastructure
- 910 additional passing spec tests since last release
- more convergence with STD.pm grammar
- added named 0-ary parsing and ops
- allowed subroutine and method names to be a PAST tree that produces the name
- Improved lexical handling
+ pbc_disassemble renamed from disassemble
.macro_const in PIR
+ added the flag
:lexid(...) for subroutines
+ made multiple dispatch work for sub types
+ fixed garbage collection bug related to the metadata attached to a PMC_EXT structure
+ added a warning when using deprecated opcodes
+ simplified the stacks implementation
+ fixed C++ build
+ improved closure and lexical support
+ improved IMCC register allocator
+ added cache for all runtime-constant strings, reducing memory usage
+ improved OpenGL/GLU/GLUT bindings
+ added a standard profile for Perl::Critic coding standard testing
+ added support for smoke testing with Smolder
+ enabled use of Test::Harness 3.0 if available, but don't require it for 'make test'
+ added the executable 'parrot_config' to query Parrot configuration
Thanks to all our contributors for making this possible, and our sponsors for supporting this project. Our next release is 19 Aug 2008.