I forgot to write about my Parrot day last week. I started work on using TGE in Punie. TGE takes care of all the steps in the compiler except the last step of compiling the low-level opcode syntax tree (OST) down to Parrot bytecode.
I'm approaching it by first implementing the steps all the way through, but only for the single statement "print 1;". So far, I'm part-way through the initial step of transforming the output from TGE into the high-level abstract syntax tree. That seems kind of slow progress (to me at least), but I spent a good bit of the time waffling on what AST nodes to use. Then I decided I'd just start with something similar to Pugs' PIL, and refine it as I go along. (Okay, I decided that when I first wrote the draft design doc, but sometimes I need to decide the same thing twice before it sticks.
This week should go faster, through the AST transformations and hopefully even on to the OST transformations.