For anyone able to help briefly test Strawberry October before I release in about 24-48 hours, here is the latest crop of betas.
They contain very little change to the C toolchain, libraries, or Perl, so should be quite safe to try out.
New in this release is.
1. The entire toolchain is upgraded to the latest and greatest, including Module::Build 0.30 and a CPAN.pm that is configure_requires compatible out of the box, so future upgrades to Module::Build and friends defined in configure_requires META.yml files should Just Work.
2. The first "official" beta release of Strawberry Perl Portable (this will remain a beta when the others lose that tag)
3. Although I can't support arbitrary install paths, I have built a special "D: Drive" edition of Strawberry that at least lets us solve the most common situation in locked down corporate computers where C: is restricted but D: exists for the user to do with as they like.
4. Man page generation and HTML generation should now be completely disabled, removing a ton of wasted space that both goes out of date easily and is more easily accessible via search.cpan or 'perldoc'.
5. A cleaner toolchain with much less forced modules, the removal of the INC and LIBS environment variables, and the removal of the Makefile.PL params, so WxWidgets and other modules now build correctly.
Unless someone finds a show-stopper in the next day, I'll kick off the final release run.