The highest priority for Strawberry Perl is getting XML::Parser working (it will almost certainly come pre-installed in the next quarterly release due April 1st plus or minus a week).
In the mean time, we're trying to work out the problems that prevent it working, focusing on getting the XML::Parser Makefile.PL to recognize that the binary libs are installed.
In the mean time though, here is a MUCH simpler workaround for getting XML::Parser installed.
1. Download the "vanilla package" zip file for Expat.
2. Move the zip file to the C:/strawberry/c/ and extract it there.
3. Start the CPAN shell and run the following
> look XML::Parser
This will drop you into a subshell in the XML::Parser build directory.
4. Edit the Makefile.PL for XML::Parser and replace this...
5. Run "perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install" as normal for a CPAN module.
Since the only dependency XML::Parser has is on LWP (which should be already installed) this manual installation should succeed.
More thorough patches are now in RT for XML::Parser, and we hope to have a new XML::Parser out shortly which will auto-detect the vanilla form of expat correctly.
And so we can include support in Perl::Dist and it will be available bundled by default.